The Story of Curcumin: How Curcumin is beneficial for health
Contrary to what its name suggests, curcumin has nothing to do with cumin! Instead it is the chief ingredient of another Indian spice – the golden yellow turmeric. Curcumin is in fact what gives turmeric its beautiful yellow hue and it is also thanks to curcumin that turmeric is used so extensively as a healing substance.
From what ancient Indian scriptures tell us, it looks like turmeric showed up as a key medicinal substance in Ayurveda somewhere around 500 BCE. So high is the position of turmeric in the list of natural medicines that it is said to have more than a hundred different appellations like – mantrimanika, jayanti etc.
Great travelers like Marco Polo also noticed the significance of this spice. Marco Polo famously commented on the marvels of this ‘vegetable’ that had so many properties similar to saffron including its deep hue. Sushruta, an ancient Indian physician who authored the ‘Compendium of Susruta’ around 250 BCE also mentioned in it a turmeric based remedy to negate the effects of food that was laced with poison.
The scientific name of turmeric is Curcuma Longa. The rhizome or root like stem that is found underground is what produces the yellow turmeric spice. Curcumin was first extracted from the rhizomes of turmeric in the year 1815 by Vogel and Pierre Joseph Pelletier. Curcumin has shown to exhibit the following potent properties that help in the treatment of many diseases:
- Anti-inflammatory – Curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties since it inhibits enzymes like LOX, COX-2 and iNOS that facilitate inflammation.
- Antioxidant – Curcumin is known for its antioxidant properties because it removes a plethora of reactive oxygen species (ROS) or free radicals which cause the untimely decay of the body.
- Antimicrobial – Turmeric exhibits a whole range of anti-microbial properties like antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral etc.
- Anti-cancer – Curcumin has shown signs of annihilating cancerous cells and inhibiting growth of new ones.
Bagdara Farms in Madhya Pradesh is a unique initiative specializing in the production of very high quality curcumin. The supplements produced here are 100% natural, organic and free of any chemical pesticides and insecticides. Some of these supplements are:
- Selfieme-10X: From acne to eczema and from dermatitis to skin cancer, symptoms of any form of skin ailment can be treated with the use of packs made by using Selfieme-10X. It is a topically applied supplement. A combination of Selfieme-10X with other natural ingredients like milk cream, almond oil, olive oil, gram flour, Fuller’s earth and sandalwood powder can be used to soothe irritated skin and bring down inflammation.
- Dermaturm – This supplement is also used to improve skin health. It is taken in the form of an oral supplement. Since curcumin is not easily absorbed by the body on its own, it is combined with ground black pepper and coconut milk to increase its bioavailability. The regular consumption of this concoction will ward away serious skin related ailments like skin cancer, eczema etc.
- Livturm – An orally consumed supplement, Livturm is very beneficial in the treatment of liver related diseases. It helps in filtering out the toxins from the body and hence allows the liver function properly. It reverses the effects of excessive alcohol consumption by strengthening the damaged liver. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties help in bringing relief to the symptoms of liver disease.
- Thyromeric – The various issues that are caused by an unhealthy thyroid gland can be treated with the regular consumption of Thyromeric. From Hyperthyroidism to hypothyroidism to Goiter to thyroid cancer and Hashimoto’s disease, all the symptoms exhibited by patients suffering from these diseases can be relieved to quite an extent by the regular use of Thyromeric.
- Sugeric – Diabetes is a very common illness and its effects are pretty debilitating. Sugeric is a curcumin based supplement that helps diabetics in managing their symptoms effectively. Along with key lifestyle changes like incorporating an exercise regimen in their routine and eating a balanced diet, consumption of Sugeric is also very helpful in reversing the effects of diabetes.
Other than these, there are several products that are produced using curcumin at Bagdara Farms. These products are helpful in managing a whole spectrum of diseases effectively and naturally without the fear of chemical induced side effects. So, go ahead and explore this wonderful world of curcumin based alternate therapy and pave the way to a new, healthy YOU!
Click here for more details : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29065496